Wednesday, June 1, 2016

Visceral Response



I took this picture when I went on vacation to St. Kitts in the Caribbean. There is so much to this picture that I never really took the time to actually study it. So I thought I would do a little more analyzing on it.

First thing you will notice is the wall between the water and the town. The horizontal line is a sense of rest from the water to the city. It almost feels as if right before the picture everything actually stopped moving for the picture. I would feel extremely relaxed if I had a view like that to look at everyday.

There are plenty of shapes in this picture, there are rectangles from all of the buildings, windows, even the umbrellas. You can see form in the boat and the buildings at this angle. You can see different sides of them just from this straightforward angle.

The color in this picture is my favorite, you can see all these different buildings that have different colors give it a vibrant and upbeat feeling to it. Even though they are older buildings they still feel more alive than most homes you see in Utah. The water and sky give it a calm and cool feel with the blues and they are both filled with different values of blue which makes me feel more relaxed.

The negative space is in the water and there are two different positive spaces, the first one is the boat, which makes it feel like it is the only vessel in the sea. And the other positive space is the city. It makes me feel like it is a secret island that most people don’t know about because of the huge gap of water between me and it. Like it is a place you would want to go.

The texture is pretty vivid in the water, you can see from the shadows that it is a little windy and there are some waves here and there.

No comments:

Post a Comment